marți, 26 martie 2013

Hummingbird cupcakes


        So I decided to try this recipe after I've seen it a  few times on internet. It really caught my eye and I guess it's obvious why :D

I have always seen this cupcakes decorated with this beautiful and interesting dried flower on top,  made out of ... pineapple. Yes, pineapple :) So I said "Hmm.. let's give it a try" 


At first it looks easy to make, but you'll discover lots of tricks that you have to do in order to have a great result. But more on this topic I will write later.

Let's return to our delicious cupcakes. The design wasn't the only thing that I loved about them. You'll see that the recipe has a lot of great things in it, fruits and nuts, and you can't really fail with it . I can guarantee you that! So easy to make. All you have to do is to follow all the steps.

Below you find the recipe I found, but I'll suggest one thing. I find the amount of  sugar too high. Really! You already have the fruits that are very sweet. What I recommend is to add just half of it. 
BUT if ''Very sweet'' is your middle name,  I'll say to go for it!


Ingredients:
  • 2 cups/ 240g all-purpose flour
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • ¾ teaspoon salt
  • ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 2 to 3 large mashed bananas
  • 2/3 cup/ 150g  chopped pineapple (fresh or canned)
  • 2/3 cup/ 100g chopped walnuts or pecans
  • 2/3 cup/ 100g shredded coconut
  • 1 &1/3 cups/ 260g sugar
  • 11 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
  • 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 eggs

Frosting:
  • 7 ounces/ 200g  cream cheese
  • ½ cup/ 55g butter, at room temperature
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup/ 200g powdered sugar
  • optional 3 tablespoons heavy cream
Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F/ 180 degrees C.
Line the cupcake tins with paper liners and set aside. I used the white ones.
Whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon and set aside. In another bowl, stir together the banana, pineapple, walnuts, and coconut and set aside.
With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat the butter, sugar and vanilla until combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated. Add the banana mixture to the egg mixture, beating until combined. Stir in the flour mixture with a rubber spatula.
Fill each cupcake tin three-quarters. Bake until the cupcakes turn gold and test them with a toothpick until it comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Transfer tins to wire racks to cool completely before removing cupcakes.
This is how my cupcakes looked before putting them in the oven 
And after :)
The cupcakes can be stored up to 3 days at room temperature in airtight containers.
Frosting
Using the whisk attachment, beat the cream cheese and butter at medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the vanilla extract and mix to incorporate. Reduce the speed to medium-low and gradually add the powdered sugar, until it has all been incorporated. I added an extra 3 tablespoons of heavy cream.
After the cupcakes cooled down, I decorated them with frosting and the dried pineapples.





Photos by Emi Costache


Niciun comentariu: